[whatwg] Spellchecking mark III

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Dec 30 03:38:42 PST 2008

In 2006 I proposed the following spec for a spellcheck="" attribute,
based on requests from the Google engineers then working on Firefox:

   http://www.damowmow.com/playground/spellcheck.txt

The same engineers have since implemented this feature in Chrome also, and
Google does use this attribute on its sites. However, the attribute has
seen very little interest outside of Google, with just a handful of sites
using it, primarily in dyanamic editor libraries.

I have therefore not added this feature to HTML5 for the time being. If
there is more interest in this feature, please speak up.