[whatwg] Section 5.7.3.3 Parsing cache manifests

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Tue Dec 30 16:52:28 PST 2008

2008/12/30 Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org>:

> Dec 30, 2008, в 7:09 PM, timeless написал(а):
>
>>> I suggest changing the signature to "^<BOM>?CACHE MANIFEST" - then it
>>> will
>>> be easier to verify, and it will be possible to add comments at the end.
>>> This is how we have it in WebKit now, and changing the check to the more
>>> strict HTML5 one may affect existing clients.
>>
>> this means we could never do:
>> "^<BOM>?CACHE MANIFEST2"
>

> If incompatible changes to the format are ever needed, we can change
> Content-Type.

Ugh, depending on the content-type for things like versioning would
suck, people have a hard time getting that right even for HTML vs.
GIF, so trying to use it for things as subtle as versions is bound to
be too unreliable.

But maybe just using a signature to detect that it's a manifest file
of some version is enough, then manifest specific code can be used to
choose which parser version to use.

/ Jonas