[whatwg] number-related feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Dec 31 14:07:21 PST 2008

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> So how would something like
>
> <input maxlength="5000000000">
>
> be parsed? Is it defined in terms of setting the .maxLength DOM
> attribute, so that its behavior depends on what WebIDL says? Or
> something else?

The UA would set a limit on the value it accepts for maxlength="", and
then cap the result at that, preventing someone from entering more than
4GB (or 2GB, or 4TB, or whatever limit the UA has). Does that answer your
question? In practice I would expect other limitations to come into play
long before a test for this limit could be triggered.