[whatwg] createImageData -> new ImageData() ?

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Sun Feb 3 03:20:54 PST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 2:38 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Why not give the object a constructor? I think that's cleaner. Also,
> Opera already supports that :-)
The biggest problem is that you would have to define the behaviour in
a fairly counterintuitive way
new ImageData(400, 400) would not necessarily result in an ImageData
object with width=400, height=400
as a system with a non-1:1 css to device pixel ratio.

> The moment people start using getImageData() as storage mechanism
> (which they will if browsers do not fix their data: image origin
> stuff) you'll have a problem with this if the application is
> accessed through different devices that have different ratios. I
> suspect though that given that Firefox has a 1:1 ratio sites will
> simply rely on that...
Part of my commentary was on a misunderstanding of the spec sorry :(

That said, what do you mean by using getImageData as a storage
mechanism?

--Oliver