[whatwg] Calendar subscription as a feed?

Mikko Rantalainen mikko.rantalainen at peda.net
Thu Feb 7 03:36:33 PST 2008

Consider a site that has something like an event calendar (may be
displayed with a table layout or just a simple list). How should one
link to iCalendar information that is meant for subscription or
importing to reader's calendaring software? (This is different from a
single event information for which one could use a microformat.)

Currently it seems that there are two practical ways to link to a
iCalendar file; one may distribute the .ics file via HTTP or with
"webcal" protocol (which, if I've understood correctly, is just HTTP
with different protocol name to help with binding with correct program).
So I can write
or

However, both of these URLs could really be used for subscriptions.
Should I mark up those as feeds? Should calendar feeds have different
"rel" type than "feed"? Is it okay to write something like

type="text/calendar">Calendar feed</a>?

The "feed" keyword is defined as "the feed keyword indicates that the
referenced document is a syndication feed" at
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#link-type5 - is a
calendar feed a "syndication feed"?

--
Mikko