[whatwg] Workers in HTML5

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed Feb 20 14:23:59 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> If XMLHttpRequest is one of the APIs available on background threads,
> does that include its XML parsing/serialization features (responseXML
> and the ability to pass a Document as the post data)? If so, then
> effectively the whole DOM API has to be available on the background
> thread, which may increase the implementation complexity a fair bit
> over having only selected APIs available.

Having the DOM be available on other threads would be a pretty big
implementation burden for us too. Then there are are DOM APIs like <canvas>,
SVG APIs, etc ... each of those would either have to be disabled on worker
threads or take additional work to make thread-safe (even if the additional
work is just checking code). There's also styles and subresource loading,
which we already disable on XHR data documents but I'm not sure if that's
defined in any spec. Basically this is a very big can of worms you're
opening here...

Rob
53:5-6]