[whatwg] Thoughts on HTML 5

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 10:44:35 PST 2008

html at nczonline.net wrote:
> Lachlan had commented that "irrelevant" could be changed dynamically to
> indicate parts of an application that may be relevant only during particular
> points in time. I don't see how this is any different from hiding content
> that isn't necessary.

Presumably a non-visual UA could use the irrelevant attribute to distinguish
content that was not relevant at the current time from content that was merely
being hidden from graphical UAs. I seem to remember (but I am far from being an
expert) that currently aural browsers ignore display:none content and so
best-practice for adding additional text for aural UAs is to use CSS positioning
to move it out of the viewport. @irrelevant seems to provide a way to move away
from this kind of crazy hack.