[whatwg] The div element

html at nczonline.net html at nczonline.net
Thu Feb 28 15:07:30 PST 2008

I'm still not clear to me how <section/> is anything more than a <div/>. HTML4 said: "The DIV and SPAN elements, in conjunction with the id and class attributes, offer a generic mechanism for adding structure to documents" (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#edef-DIV). Isn't that the very thing that <section/> is trying to do? Provide structure? I don't see that it offers anything over and above what <div/>s do now, except for confusing developers as to which is more appropriate to use.

-Nicholas