[whatwg] Video codec requirements changed

Dave Singer singer at apple.com
Tue Jan 8 10:09:53 PST 2008

At 9:42  -0800 8/01/08, cramhead wrote:
>Is there a codec, potentially old or not
>currently functioning,  that is free  and that
>could be freely modified/improved to make a new
>free codec that Apple and Nokia and others would
>not challenge? Potentially, some funding could
>be donated by groups like the FSF or commercial
>players?

This is indeed one of the many questions on the
table and under investigation.  Ideas of starting
points, ways to address and clarify the issues,
and so on, are gratefully received.  Feel free to
look at the summary I edited for the HTML WG and
add ideas, candidates, or courses of action that
you feel are missing.  The more creativity that
is applied here, the more likely we are to find a
harmonious solution!

--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime