[whatwg] Reverse ordered lists

Simon Pieters simonp at opera.com
Wed Jan 23 04:47:38 PST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:35:38 +0100, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:

> That's an interesting point, but I don't see it as a show-stopper.
> Either you allow it to have the wrong numbers while loading, or you make
> reverse ordered lists block layout for a while, or we could use
> something along the lines of:
>
>     <ol count-down-from="6">
>
> ...which is more of a pain to author but at least can render correctly
> incrementally.

I completely forgot about the start='' attribute. :-) If incremental
rendering is an issue (e.g. if you use a list that will always have 100
items) the author can just set the start value explicitly:

    <ol start="100" reverse>

The lack of start='' would make the numbers update as the list is filled
with <li>s. This allows both for simplicitly for short lists and correct
incremental rendering for large lists.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software