[whatwg] How to use SVG in HTML5?

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Wed Jan 23 12:34:55 PST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:44:59 +1100, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net>
wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2008 2:13 PM, Krzysztof Żelechowski <giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl>
> wrote:
>>
>> SVG is too heavyweight
>> for the purpose of such tiny presentational enhancements.
>
> I can provide counterexamples:
>
> http://intertwingly.net/blog/
> http://intertwingly.net/blog/archives/

An image is not a replacement for text in the real world, only in Ian's
current drafts. And where it is, SVG is ideal for having beautifully
styled selectable interactive text that is lightweight and easy to create
(or heavyweight and bloated if you use something like inkscape, but still
easy to create and easy to automagically optimise to something
lightweight).

Which is why I disagree thoroughly with Chris' assertion here.

cheers

Chaals