[whatwg] How to use SVG in HTML5?

Krzysztof Żelechowski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Wed Jan 23 13:13:15 PST 2008

Dnia 23-01-2008, Śr o godzinie 20:42 +0000, David Gerard pisze:

> FWIW, my use case is to be able to create images in SVG and just use
> them as ... images, just like I do PNGs or JPEGs. It was also somewhat
> inspired by setting up rsvg for MediaWiki on our work intranet and
> wanting to hit it repeatedly with a hammer ... but relying on
> client-side SVG rendering will have to wait until Firefox 3 renders it
> not only correctly, but without pegging the processor just displaying
> ;-)
>
> I think Chris is incorrect in his assertion because clients can be
> presumed to have increasing amounts of rendering power available just
> to make pretty pictures.

That does not necessarily mean
that the owner of the rendering device would be happy
to watch the user agent use that power for something inessential
(battery life!).

Besides, your paragraph 2 directly contradicts paragraph 1:
the implementations are not mature.

> Every browser (except IE) *has* SVG
> rendering.

And that means that, optimistically,
one user in three will have a chance
of viewing the content as you intended
(unless your target audience is very specific).

> Firefox 3 will have *accurate* SVG rendering. SVG is the
> Right Thing for so many situations. It's all looking promising to me
> so far.

While it is nice and comforting to have a promise,
it is wise not to rely on it too much.

Chris