[whatwg] How to use SVG in HTML5?

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Thu Jan 24 02:09:22 PST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 05:41:58 +0100, Eli Naeher <enaeher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you elaborate on these barriers? I would really like to see inline
> SVG.

http://annevankesteren.nl/2007/10/svg-html has a high-level overview. The
main problem is how the HTML parser as defined by the HTML5 specification
needs to be modified and what set of limitations do we impose on the
syntax.

> I also notice that 3.3.3.6 mentions something related:
>
> "Elements that are from namespaces other than the HTML namespace and
> that convey content but not metadata, are embedded content for the
> purposes of the content models defined in this specification. (For
> example, MathML, or SVG.)"
>
> Is this section out-of-date? Or does it refer only to elements which
> have been loaded into the DOM by some means other than being included
> in the source (e.g. in accordance with 4.8.2, Page load processing
> model for XML files)?

HTML 5 defines processing of HTML5, XHTML5, and documents created using
DOM methods. Only the latter two can contain elements from other
namespaces at this point.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>