[whatwg] More random comments on the putImageData definition

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Jan 25 14:56:28 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:00:41 +0100, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com>
> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I had a question as I still think ImageData should be simplified.
> Are you planning to support high resolution ImageData objects? As
> specified ImageData is in device pixels rather than in canvas pixels
> yet no browsers support this and last we checked content is already
> assuming otherwise.

getImageData/putImageData will definitely cause problems for high-DPI
displays in the future that are driven with a scale factor where CSS
pixels are not device pixels. The question is whether it's better for
some content to fail and other content to work (if it checks the
returned width/height), or for all content to lose resolution relative
to what the display is capable of.

Regards,
Maciej