[whatwg] accesskey

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Mon Jan 28 17:31:52 PST 2008

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:31:46 +1100, Krzysztof Żelechowski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl> wrote:

> Dnia 25-01-2008, Pt o godzinie 23:06 -0500, Jean-Nicolas Boulay
> Desjardins pisze:
>> But what would happend if this was to happend:

>> Again this is allowed in the present web standard, but if you think
>> about it its illogical, on what bases thus the browser decide wich one
>> to access first or should it open the tow?
>
> The visible and enabled elements marked with the same access key
> should take focus in turn and in page order.

Indeed...

User agents must, in any case, be free to reassign access methods (for
example using a key other than the one the author suggested). This is one
reason they might do that (a more common reason would be that there isn't
a readily available 語 key...). Since it is critical user agents can do
this, user agents, not authors, should be responsible for telling the user
how to activate the things that have access keys. (This was envisioned in
the User Agent Accessibility Guidelines, where it has its own checkpoint
[1]).

So the user agent can actually decide to leave the keys as they are and
allow cycling through them (IE does this in some versions at least), or
change the key (or other behaviour) that triggers the effect and of course
make it clear to the user what the actual activation method is.

> If the element is an active element,
> its action should not be performed.

Hmmm. I am not sure about this. In general, I prefer an acceskey mechanism
that activates controls (although it should be configurable), and a user
agent that just re-maps doubled accesskeys. I certainly don't think that
we should be overly prescriptive about how to handle the situation. This
is, after all, primarily a question of user interface design, not markup
design.

cheers

chaals