[whatwg] Some <video> questions

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Tue Jan 29 11:30:43 PST 2008

> Also, as Henri has already said, QuickTime supports plugins itself.

Right, but not more than 0% (rounded) of users know about or install these.
This is why it's difficult to see the relevance.

> There is a _huge_ amount of content on the web that uses MPEG-4...

There's some MPEG-4 content available on the internet, but it's primarily
restricted to video podcasts designed for iPods, and then is generally only
available in feeds.

When that same content is made available on the web, it's generally encoded
as Flash.  Most MPEG-4 content available on the web per se is generally
designed for mobile (i.e. m.youtube.com).

<deep breath>

I think my point's getting lost.  I'm a huge fan of MPEG-4, and am glad I
was around as Apple's QuickTime Evangelist during its birth.

The problem is that the <video> element doesn't appear solve the problem of
how to embed content in a player-agnostic fashion.  It should unify video
embedding, but as designed, it doesn't.

-- Charles