[whatwg] Some <video> questions

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Tue Jan 29 14:13:38 PST 2008

Your original question (about control sizes, etc) was answered very
quickly -- the video element provides a block that displays video,
other css elements can be used to provide the controls -- there is no
requirement for the actual controls to be visually attached to the
video element itself, so making the control dimensions be implicit in
the video element is either restrictive (the controls must be
visually connected to the video in a predefined way) or redundant
(you have two mechanisms to define controls, either as generic css or
using a restricted amount of control inside the visual area of the
video element).

Subsequently you turned it into the well covered topic of codecs -- i
had merely assumed that as your original question had been answered
you were asking a separate question on the topic of codec selection,
which as i said has already been covered in detail and is non-trivial.

--Oliver