[whatwg] Some <video> questions

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Wed Jan 30 13:23:00 PST 2008

On 30/01/2008, at 12:54 PM, Charles wrote:

> Thanks for the conversation, folks!
>
> I was hoping that <video> would make Objecty <http://wiltgen.net/
> objecty/> redundant by making it easy for authors to embed video in
> a very simple, normalized fashion across formats, browsers and
> OSs.  Now I understand that <video> will be considered successful
> without having fixed video embeddeding in general, which is fine.
What part of video does it not fix?  It defines a standard API for
all implementers, with standard html-native markup.

Afaict you just want to be able to replace your use of <object> with
<video> which is entirely pointless, the purpose of the video tag is
to provide a standardised native html element, not another plugin
mechanism to replace <object> -- by definition a plugin is both non-
native and non-standard so has no relevance here.

Once the spec is complete you'll be able to use standard html to say
here is a video, then use JS to bind custom controls (if you so
desire), and everything will be wholesome and good.  If you want to
use a plugin use <object> that's what <object> is for.

--Oliver