[whatwg] Web Sockets

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jul 6 14:51:31 PDT 2008

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Charl van Niekerk wrote:

> I'm very happy, just one small concern so far. Please excuse the typical
> "African" issue but over here the networks are particularly terrible and
> this does affect us quite badly. I would like to be able to determine
> whether a connection has been closed by the server or by a network
> error. I think it would be very handy for the user agent to know if it's
> caused by unstable network connections or an unstable server and
> possibly log this somehow and/or communicate this to the user.

You can do this by having the server send back a message before
disconnecting.

Er yes. What you said. :-)

> I'm not suggesting any changes at this point in time, just thought I
> should raise this for comment.

The only way I could see to do this would be to have the server send back
a special packet type (e.g. 0x01 0xFF) and have that trigger a different
event, but then it would be relying upon the server to do the right thing,
which isn't a given. Seems better just to have the author set that up
himself if he wants it.