[whatwg] Audio canvas?

Dave Singer singer at apple.com
Wed Jul 16 11:25:15 PDT 2008

At 20:18  +0200 16/07/08, Dr. Markus Walther wrote:

>get/setSample(<samplePoint> t, <sampleValue> v, <channel> c).
>
>For the sketched use case - in-browser audio editor -, functions on
>sample regions from {cut/add silence/amplify/fade} would be nice and
>were mentioned as an extended possibility, but that is optional.
>
>I don't understand the reference to MIDI, because my use case has no
>connection to musical notes, it's about arbitrary audio data on
>which MIDI has nothing to say.

get/set sample are 'drawing primitives' that are the equivalent of
get/setting a single pixel in images.  Yes, you can draw anything a
pixel at a time, but it's mighty tedious.  You might want to lay down
a tone, or some noise, or shape the sound with an envelope, or do a
whole host of other operations at a higher level than
sample-by-sample, just as canvas supports drawing lines, shapes, and
so on.  That's all I meant by the reference to MIDI.
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime