[whatwg] Select element suggestion

Thomas Broyer t.broyer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 11:41:44 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Thomas Broyer wrote:

>> This IMO should be an UA feature, just like autocomplete on text boxes.
>> Eventually something similar to autocomplete=off could be added to the
>> select element in case options ordering really matters, but I don't
>> think anything more is needed.
>
> Damn you, Thomas Broyer.  Beat me to it.  ^_^  I thought on this a bit last
> night and concluded that there's no reason for the author to specify a
> particular frequency limit - it's more than enough to just say "turn on
> history-based reordering" and let the UA consistently handle that.

And if you want it "right now", I guess you could make it quite easily
using XBL and XUL in Firefox (could even be made global with a
user.css, or eventually done as a Firefox extension), and it could
probably be done as a "behavior" in IE...

It's a very good idea but unfortunately I don't have enough
Firefox-extension/XUL/XBL/etc. knowledge to do it myself... would be
very handy though... Anyone to make such an extension? I'd volunteer
to beta-test ;-)

--
Thomas Broyer