[whatwg] Audio canvas?

Dr. Markus Walther walther at svox.com
Thu Jul 17 02:05:42 PDT 2008

ddailey wrote:
> I recall a little app called soundEdit (I think) that ran in the Mac
> back in the mid 1980's. I think it was shareware (at least it was
> ubiquitous).
>
> The editing primitives were fairly cleanly defined and, had a reasonable
> metaphoric correspondence to the familiar drawing actions.
>
> There was a thing where you could grab a few seconds of sound and copy
> it and paste it; you could drag and drop; you could invert (by just
> subtracting each of the tones from a ceiling) you could reverse (by
> inverting the time axis). You could even go in with your mouse and drag
> formants around. It was pretty cool.
>
> It would not be a major task for someone to standardize such an
> interface and I believe any patents would be expired by now.

No need to go to particular _applications_ for inspirations when
libraries developed with some generality in mind (e.g.
http://www.speech.kth.se/snack/man/snack2.2/tcl-man.html) can serve as
inspiration already. A carefully chosen subset of Snack might be a good
start.

> David
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Singer" <singer at apple.com>

I see. However, to repeat what I said previously:

audio =/= music.

The direction you're hinting at would truly justify inventing a new
element, since it sounds like it's specialized to synthesized music. But
that's a pretty narrow subset of what audio encompasses.

Regarding the tediousness of doing things one sample at a time I agree,
but maybe it's not as bad as it sounds. It depends on how fast
JavaScript gets, and Squirrelfish is a very promising step (since the
developers acknowledge they learnt the lessions from Lua, the next
acceleration step could be to copy ideas from luajit, the extremely fast
Lua-to-machine-code JIT compiler). If it gets fast enough, client-side
libraries could do amazing stuff using sample-at-a-time primitives.

Still, as I suggest above, a few higher-level methods could be useful,

-- Markus