[whatwg] Application deployment

Russell Leggett russell.leggett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 11:44:33 PDT 2008

Hi all,
I checked through the archives, but did not see anything, so if this has
been addressed already, I apologize.

This is a suggestion that is more helpful to larger single page web
applications, but could also be very helpful to other resource intensive web
pages. My thought is that it could be extremely helpful to create some kind
of web application deployment format. Basically, the same idea as what java
does with jars (Java ARchives). A jar is basically just a zip file with a
different extension. Inside, it contains all the resources required for that
application, including code and images.

How hard would it be to support something similar in a browser? Instead of
worrying about concatenating javascript and css files to reduce HTTP
requests, if all js,css,and even images and other files could be zipped up
or tarred, that would only require a single HTTP request. This could
basically just add the files to the browser cache or other local storage
mechanism so that requests for the resources would not need to make an extra
trip.

Thanks,
Russ