[whatwg] Application deployment

Russell Leggett russell.leggett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 05:47:54 PDT 2008

Just to clarify, I wanted to point out that my suggestion is related to both
of the suggested alternatives (mhtml and the jar protocol), but is very
different in intention. I think there is a very real need in the area of
deployment for resource intensive web pages/applications. The developer has
to choose between bad performance (several http requests) or a complicated
build process (concatenating js and css and creating css sprites). And even
in the best case scenario, they still cannot be loaded together (js and css
still have to be loaded separately). The intention for my suggestion is not
that resources be accessible from inside a zip or jar, or that a whole web
site be zipped up and sent over email, I was just trying to think of an easy
way to relieve this pain point.
My thought for implementation would be something like:

<link rel="resources" href="resources.zip"/>

Then the zip file could basically be unzipped and loaded into the browser
cache. When a link to retrieve a stylesheet, image, or script was reached,
it would just check the cache as it normally would. There would be no
special link urls or protocols.

I'm sure there are holes in the idea somewhere, but I really do think that
some solution can be found, and I think it is a large enough pain point that
it is worth addressing.

Thanks,
Russ