[whatwg] More comments and questions on Web Apps 1.0

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jul 28 15:50:40 PDT 2008

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Based on the 2006-02-24 version.
>
> 1.14.1.
> The style and script elements in XHTML have a potentially anything goes
> content model. Would it be appropriate for a conformance checker to only pass
> style and script types it knows about (with the proper content model for each
> type)?

Yes.

> 2.14.1.1.
> The spec should probably mention http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
> draft-hoehrmann-script-types-03.txt or its successor around here.

References will be fixed near the end of development.

> 2.17. & 2.18.
> Are calendars and cards expected to be unstylable replaced elements in
> rendering?

n/a

> 2.20.1.
> When I read this, I had trouble organizing (in my mind) what I was reading
> because I had no prior understanding of where the spec was going. Up to this
> point, I had had prior hypotheses that were confirmed or disconfirmed by the
> spec. This section would be a lot easier to read if it had an introductionary
> paragraph stating the relationship of rendering, the DOM, the data model
> object and data submission. (Is the DOM being rendered or is a replaced widget
> element being rendered? Is it stylable? Is the data model reflected back to
> the DOM? What's the expected way of serializing the data model and sending it
> back to the server?)

The spec has been significantly reorganised since then. I'm not sure it
makes sense yet, but it should better, at least.

> 2.20.1.
> Also, I wondered whether this functionality is best specced as part of the UA
> or whether it would be better to ship it as a MIT/expat-licensed pure-JS
> library for running on top of the lower-level JS/DOM APIs. (Note: Considering
> what I wrote above, I don't really understand what the aims are, so I may be
> totally missing the point.)

(Assuming this is referring to <datagrid>.)

Part of the idea is to make it possible to use <datagrid> without script,
as an alternative way of presenting data.

> 2.20.1.3.
> I had trouble trying to extract markup-level conformance requirements for
> stuff that can occur inside the datagrid.

The content model should be clear now.

> 2.20.1.3.
> Is select allowed to occur in the block context only here or anywhere?

I don't understand the question.

> 2.20.2.
> Is command in head conforming in the XHTML serialization only? (It is a
> phasing element in the tree construction section.)

The parser has been fixed.

> 2.20.3.
> It why not use type="context" for declaring a context menu?

It does now.

> 3.1.
> "We could make this into a string value that acts as a Hint for why the
> command is disabled."
>
> I suspect that to be trouble, because general purpose code for dealing
> with boolean attributes would need to take that special case into
> account. Using another attribute for a hint would be fine, though.

The advantage of using the disabled attribute for this is that it would
force people to think about what the reason is. The disadvantage is that
people would still not think about it and the UI would suck. Removed.

> 4.5.
> Is onerror only a DOM attribute or is it a markup attribute as well? Whose
> attribute is it?

Is the spec clear on this now?