[whatwg] Application deployment

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Jul 29 11:28:34 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Kristof Zelechovski
<giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl>wrote:

>  Archive: is not generic enough but perhaps you could bend the URL
> notation to embrace something like inside:.  I still would not recommend it
> but it would not make me that sore.
>
> How about <inside:local/path.html?container=http://www.site.com/app.jar>?
>
> The user agent would be required to append a query string to local
> hyperlinks and that parameter would be reserved (or rename it to
> h809370dfwhbwa0r92347090).

That query string would have to be appended everywhere you do baseURI +
relativeURI -> absoluteURI conversion. So you're really just messing with
relative URI syntax for this particular scheme. That's not cleaner than the
URI extension for jar:/archive: (or whatever you want to call it), IMHO.

OTOH, you can simulate several entry points by having all supported entry
> points on the start page (à la Microsoft Access) and have the user navigate
> to what she needs.  I do not think this would be prohibitive from the
> customer's point of view.  And I am sure there is no need to publish each
> local address.

That breaks bookmarks and similar navigation mechanisms such as intelligent
URLbar autocompletion. Also note that an entry point can be a particular
document hosted in a Web application, or even a particular email message, so
you can't always offer one-click navigation.

Rob
53:5-6]