[whatwg] ARIA

Aaron Leventhal aaronlev at moonset.net
Mon Jun 30 01:26:39 PDT 2008

> I don't know if you've seen the recent Accessible Rich Internet
> Applications <http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/> draft?  (There's also a
> primer at <http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-primer/>.)  It describes a
> number of standard states that can be added to custom controls.
> Rather than potentially fitting multiple values into a reldata
> attribute, it defines a host of attributes beginning with "aria-".
> Example:

> I believe a number of script libraries (Dojo for example) plan on
> supporting ARIA.  Firefox has some ARIA support already.
Thanks for pointing to WAI-ARIA. Just to clarify the status, both Dojo's
Dijit library and Firefox 3 fully supports the current draft on both
Windows and Linux. There are still being tweaks made in screen readers
to support the outer edges of the ARIA widget semantics as well as ARIA
live regions (for areas of the page that change but are not really
widgets, such as an updating scoreboard).
More info on who is working on ARIA support in the FAQ here:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/ARIA:_Accessible_Rich_Internet_Applications/Relationship_to_HTML_FAQ#Who_supports_ARIA.3F

- Aaron