[whatwg] Fwd: Interpretation of video poster attribute

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 08:00:00 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm a bit puzzled about how to interpret the poster attribute on
> HTMLVideoElement:
>
> "The poster attribute gives the address of an image file that the user
> agent can show while no video data is available. The attribute, if
> present, must contain a URI (or IRI)."
>
> Is the intention that this image should be stretched to the size of the
> video element, or that it should be centered in the frame? If the width
> and height attributes are not given, should the video element initially
> be given the size of the poster image, or should the user agent wait
> until it has the dimensions of the video (thereby making the poster
> useless)?
>
> In short, what is the intended use of poster?
>
> -- Philip Jägenstedt

Just for similar-implementation-ideas, flvplayer simply aligns the poster
image to the upper-left of the object element, with no scaling at all.  If
width and height are not given, it simply doesn't display at all.

Unless there's already some alternate intent, I suggest <video> scale to the
poster's size if no explicit size is given.

~TJ