[whatwg] Proposal: target="_tab"

Jorgen Horstink mail at jorgenhorstink.nl
Fri Jun 13 01:17:57 PDT 2008

I've been following this discussion for a while and I agree a new
'_tab' target is not necessary. To my mind _blank implies a new
browser canvas. There are two implementations for creating a new
canvas these days; a new window, or a new tab. The key question is:
what does _blank mean? Does it only mean 'a new window'? Or does it
mean 'a new canvas'? To my mind it means the latter.
I don't see why HTML should bother with user experience (new tab, or
new window). This has more to do with style sheets (also this is
arguably to my mind).

-jorgen

On Jun 13, 2008, at 10:03 AM, João Eiras wrote:

> 2008/6/13 Borek Bernard <borekbe at yahoo.co.uk>:
>> Hi João,
>>
>> you're right that everything important has been already said. I
>> have withdrawn this proposal because it has been pointed out that it
>> is not backwards compatible and the correct solution will be part of
>> CSS3 anyway (which is much more flexible - we will have not only
>> target-new, but also target-position; I guess you strongly dislike
>> both of them).
>
> What's lovely about css, is that features like this can be easily
> disabled with local stylesheet. Overriding _tab would requiring
> running local script, which greater performance impact, and migh thave
> unforseen consequences. So css gives greater control, with less
> effort.
>

>> But the discussion has been interesting anyway. There is probably no
>> point in carrying on because we see the problem from two different
>> standpoints - you want to have the specs as "pure" as possible
>> while I
>> want them to be as flexible as possible so that it can accommodate
>> any
>> use case you can think of.
>
> It's not about being pure, it's about not giving more control to the
> webpage than it should have. For a webpage running in a tab or
> separate window is exactly the same thing.
>

>> I kind of understand why simpler standards are better than the longer
>> ones but on the other hand, the lack of "_tab" or something similar
>> makes my user experience on some websites suboptimal (heck, even
>> frustrating sometimes). If you can't appreciate that different users
>> can have different user preferences ("I can't honestly come up with a
>> single reason why a webpage should open a new window instead of
>> tab"),
>
> This is not a user preference. It's the complete opposite. The spec
> would allow a user preference to be broken by spaning windows or tabs
> accordingly to the webpage author's liking.
> Historically, we've seen that giving webpage control over the user's
> browser in someway can be abused: alert(), open(), oncontextmenu ...
>
>> you will probably have hard times understanding my points. But your
>> view is quite common as I've learned :)
>

>> Regards,
>> Borek

>>> Chris
>>> P.S.: If you want your answer to go to João only, just send it