[whatwg] Sandboxing to accommodate user generated content.

Kristof Zelechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Tue Jun 17 09:18:55 PDT 2008

1.  Please elaborate how an extension of CSS would require a sanitizer
update.
2.  Please explain why using a dedicated tag with double parsing is easier
for a Web developer than putting the code in an attribute.
3.  Your quoting solution would not cause legacy browsers to show plain
text; they would show HTML code, which is probably much worse than showing
plain text.  If you mean JavaScript can be used to extract plain text, I
doubt it will be simple; there are probably lots of junctions where this
procedure can derail.
4.  Please explain why you consider network efficiency for legacy user
agents essential.  I believe that the correlation between efficiency and
compatibility is negative in general.  If that causes server overload, the
server can discriminate content depending on the user agent; this is a
temporary solution to an edge case and it should probably be acceptable.
Besides, a blog page with 60 comments on it is rather hard to render and
read so you should probably consider other display options in this case.
5.  I am not sure why IFRAME content must be HTTP-secured if the containing
page is.  The specification does not impose such a restriction AFAIK.  And,
if you need to go secure, do not allow scribbling in the first place, right?
Please take these points as a challenge, not as an attempt to let you down.
I personally think your idea is worth considering.
Chris