[whatwg] video background color (Was: Interpretation of video poster attribute)

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at opera.com
Thu Jun 19 06:05:43 PDT 2008

Safari already uses a transparent background by default and to me that
doesn't seem like a bad idea -- it may be best to hide small 1px
letterboxes due to rounding errors in aspect ratio calculation etc.
Setting "background-color:transparent" to override the default black is
probably less known to most authors and transparent background is also
more in line with most other HTML elements.

I would suggest eventually specifying this behavior in the rendering
section, unless someone feels that default black letterboxes is very
important.

// Philip

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 21:02 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008, Philip Jgenstedt wrote:
> >
> > The issue with the poster attribute is resolved, but one comment made me
> > remember something I've wondered about:
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 09:26 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > > It's not impossible; first black would render 300x150, then the poster
> >
> > The spec says: Areas of the element's playback area that do not contain
> > the video represent nothing.
> >
> > What does this mean? Black is customary for video, but leaving the
> > region transparent (thus falling back to css background color) is
> > another option. Which is better?
>
> It's transparent, but I intended to have the following rule in the style
> sheet:
>
>    video { background: black; }
>
> ...so that it looks black unless the author restyles it. Does that make
> sense?
>
> --
Philip Jägenstedt
Opera Software