[whatwg] A comment to character encoding declaration

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:12:30 PST 2008

Hi Alexey,

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
>   In my testing, it appears that IE 7 and Firefox 2 do treat GBK as
> an equivalent of GB2312, but this cannot be said about GB18030. In
> particular, 0x80 and 0xA2E3 are treated differently.

Yep, I missed that point in my previous post, my fault. Yes, they
should be treated differently. So I guess my request should be changed
to only treat GB2312 as GBK.

>   See:
> <http://nypop.com/~ap/webkit/gbk.html>
> <http://nypop.com/~ap/webkit/gb18030.html>
>
>   What differences are you seeing between Firefox and WebKit? It
> seems that the behavior may be a bit more tricky than just treating
> all encodings from GBK family as GB18030.

On Safari 3.0.4, only 0x80 is recognized as euro mark in gbk.html,
and only 0xA2E3 is recognized as euro mark in gb18030.html. But on
Firefox 3.0 (Gecko/2008030604 nightly build), both 0x80 and 0xA2E3
is recognized as euro mark in gb18030.html. So there seems to be
some inconsistencies here, and I think you're right, simply treat
all GBK family encodings as GB18030 is not a good idea.

- Jiang