[whatwg] Thoughts on HTML 5 - dialog

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue May 13 16:20:55 PDT 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Ernest Cline wrote:

> The only synonym of dialog that is anywhere near as general seems to be
> <discourse/>.

I dunno, that just sounds so formal.

I agree that <dialog> isn't perfect and could be (and has been) confused
with dialog boxes, but I'm not convinced it's not the best name for the
job anyway.

> The other possibility is <dialogue/> since the computing uses that cause
> confusion seem to have standardized on the shorter spelling.

Experience with language="" on <script> suggests that many authors have
serious difficulties spelling words that contain the "gu" letter pair.