[whatwg] Thoughts on HTML 5 - dialog

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Wed May 14 07:34:35 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:36 AM, Mikko Rantalainen <
mikko.rantalainen at peda.net> wrote:

> If <dialog> is used instead of <dialogue> then it should be designed in
>> a such way that it can be used for dialog box in addition to dialogue
>> (e.g. chat) in the future.
>
>  I severely doubt this is possible or desirable.  It would make it *more*
confusing, I think, if <dialog> was meant for dialog boxes *and* marking up
conversations.

Just to throw out yet another possibility, how about <convo>?  I don't like
it too much, but it at least avoids most of the issues that plagued the
other submissions.  I'm generally convinced that <dialog> is an okay choice
for this, but if we *were* to change, I at least want to make sure it's
something I can get behind.

My personal favorite alternate suggestion so far has been <cl>.  Short and a
little confusing?  Maybe.  But it has the benefit of being unambiguous and
parallels existing tags with similar syntax.  But meh, it's probably not
quite right, as <dialog> isn't meant to be illustrating a conversation list,
but rather is a list illustrating a conversation.

~TJ