[whatwg] iframe width/height

James Justin Harrell herorev at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 09:57:51 PDT 2008

> > Shouldn't iframe keep its width and height attributes just like the
> > other embedded content elements?
>
> Documents don't have intrinsic dimensions, and the user's default font
> size is likely to vary from user to usr. How would you know what height
> and width to give?

The same way you would know what height and width to give to a non-replaced element. Why should an embedded document not be able to render as if the contents of the document were present inline in the parent document? Backwards compatibility should probably trump better behavior here, but why is it not possible to specify this through CSS?

I've heard of this problem multiple times. For example,
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/2005/02/autosizing_ifra.html