[whatwg] Some <video> questions

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Fri May 16 17:06:23 PDT 2008

Yes, the Windows Safari browser would just use DirectShow to render the videos, and DirectShow allows Microsoft to register a new codec to handle the Windows Media content.

FYI Safari on Windows uses Quicktime for <video>. Your answer "yes" is still correct, however.

The practical answer is “no”, since Microsoft will probably not be compelled to re-architect Silverlight as a collection QuickTime components for Apple desktop PCs. (Steve would never allow it on Apple mobile devices, of course.)

Even the theoretical answer is probably “no”. Just as QuickTime needed a significant update to support frame reordering when Apple added AVC (H.264) support, it would likely need similar updates to support features and concepts unique to other media runtimes.

IMHO, everybody will be happier focusing on what <video> does do, rather than being disappointed when “this could happen/that could happen” fantasies fail to materialize.

>From a cross-platform, cross-browser perspective —mobile too, remember — <video> is for “HTML 5 Video”, that being the freely implementable and royalty free combination of container and compressed video and audio formats that we all hope can be found.

— Charles