[whatwg] re-thinking "cue ranges"

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 21:20:27 PDT 2008

Hi Dave,

If the W3C standardises time ranges through a URI approach, would
there still be a need to have a specification in the DOM or the HTML
code?

I am talking about this planned activity
http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-fragments-wg.html and a scheme akin to
the one mentioned here
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/hash-in-url#id2261226 or specified here
http://annodex.net/TR/draft-pfeiffer-temporal-fragments-03.html or
here http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/technologies/mp21-fid/index.htm.htm.

The idea is that if you specify the fragment of the media in the URL
(e.g. in the src attribute of the video tag), there is no need to
handle it anywhere in the HTML code itself.

I am wondering about the use case for the timerange tag that you are
suggesting - could you explain?

Best Regards,
Silvia.