[whatwg] Proposal for a link attribute to replace <a href>

Shannon shannon at arc.net.au
Fri May 30 10:45:06 PDT 2008

There's a lot of focus on "use cases". Here is the one that led me to
start this thread:

http://www.duttondirect.com/automotive/for_sale (disclaimer: I am not
responsible for the design of this page)

The table hover effect is not easily acheived without global href. My
client likes it, the users like it and it is perfectly obvious
navigation (despite being non-standard). At the moment I am acheiving
the effect with event bubbling but I consider this approach to be
bloated, ineligant, prone to breakage and lag on slower devices. It also
suffers from the poor compatibility of the event.button property
(activates on right/middle-click instead of just left). Nonetheless it
improves the ease of navigation for most users.

A global href would allow me too turn the whole mess of event code into:

... and all the issues I just mentioned would vanish.

People on this list should be very careful about claiming properties and
tags will be abused. Bad interfaces exist already and often as a result
of missing behaviours in the standard. Wrapping tables and block content
in <a></a> is just one example (it works, believe it or not). Trying to
force designers into better layouts by denying features is stupid. It
will simply drive them into invalid layouts, Javascript, Flash or
Silverlight where they are free to make even bigger mockeries of
standards and interface conventions. As far as designers are concerned
HTML5 is a *competitor* to these technologies. If you cannot compete in
terms of features and ease of use you'll end up with a proprietary web.

In summary then:

Is global href going to create bad layouts?
Depends. Skilled UI designers can improve their layouts - bad designers
can make theirs worse.

Is global href a burden on browser vendors?
Unlikely. It's behaviour is nearly identical to
onclick="window.location=foo" which is already supported on the majority
of modern browsers except Lynx.

Is denying designers features they want going to increase standards
compliance?
No. It will reduce compliance.

Regards,
Shannon