[whatwg] Proposal for a link attribute to replace <a href>

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Fri May 30 08:20:07 PDT 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:12:12 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
wrote:
> As far as I can tell a block-level <a> is already supported just fine, as
> you *can* wrap block-level content in an <a> and have it work as expected
> right now, and CSSing an <a> into display:block works wonderfully.  It
> *appears* that only the standard disallows this at the moment - the
> actual browsers handle it just fine.

This is probably more a question of whether we should allow this in HTML
then whether or not we can allow this in browsers as browsers pretty much
have to support this anyway.

I personally think we should allow this for cases as demonstrated by this
site:

   http://noorderlicht.vpro.nl/

(Disclaimer: I have worked on that site three years ago.)

(I agree that a global href="" attribute would not be very feasible given
all the other attributes <a> has.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>