[whatwg] Workers feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Nov 13 15:30:47 PST 2008

I haven't written a summary of changes because this is a rather involved
issue and I'd like everyone who has an opinion to actually read this.

I missed a few e-mails sent in the last few hours in this reply, as I
started this yesterday. I'll read and respond to those in a bit.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> The spec currently says:
>
> Once the WorkerGlobalScope's closing flag is set to true, the queue must
> discard anything else that would be added to it. Effectively, once the
> closing flag is true, timers stop firing, notifications for all pending
> asynchronous operations are dropped, etc.
>
> Does this mean that anything already on the queue will remain there? Or
> will it be dropped? It sounds like it will remain, but it's somewhat
> unclear.

I've added a parenthetical clarifying this.

> In general I think the three shutdown mechanisms that exist are somewhat
> messy:
>
> * Kill a worker
> * Terminate a worker
> * WorkerGlobalScope.close()
>
> It seems excessive with 3 possible shutdown sequences, but more
> importantly the differences between them seems unnecessarily big. Mostly
> for users, but to a small extent also for implementors. Currently the
> situation is as follows:
>

>                           | Abort   | Processes | Fires    | Fires
>                           | current | more      | close on | close on
>                           | script  | events    | scope    | tangled
>                           |         |           |          | ports
> WorkerGlobalScope.close() | No      | Maybe[2]  | Yes      | Yes
> Kill a worker             | Maybe[1]| Maybe[1]  | Maybe[1] | No
> Terminate a worker        | Yes     | No        | Yes      | No
>
> [1] Implementation dependent. Presumably depends on how much patience
> that the implementation thinks its users has.
>
> [2] Depends on if the event has been placed in the queue yet or not,
> somewhat racy.

There are other ways to kill the worker:

  The worker is orphaned    | Maybe[1]| Yes       | Yes      | No
  The browser dies          | Yes     | No        | No       | No

Also, your "No" in the top-left cell is really a Maybe[1], since if the
script doesn't stop then it'll trigger the Kill algorithm.

> This seems excessively messy. The number of differences in the columns
> and the number of maybes seems bad. I propose the following:
>
> * Remove the "Kill a worker" algorithm and use "Terminate a worker"
> everywhere it is used.

I strongly disagree with that. The whole point of having a distinction is
that we don't want scripts just being killed willy-nilly when the user
navigates away from the page. Scripts in the page itself aren't
terminated, why would we want such drastic behaviour in the threads?

> * Make WorkerGlobalScope.close() not process any more events. I.e. make
> setting the 'closing flag' to true always clear out all events except a
> single close event.

Again, this seems bad as it would mean that if you navigated away from a
page that happened to use a worker, you could get data loss.

> * Always fire close on tangled ports. In many cases this will be a no-op
> since we're doing it in workers that are being closed. However if the
> port is in another window or a shared worker this might not be the case.

I thought we weren't doing this because it exposed the details of garbage
collection?

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> * We have discussed having onerror expose runtime script errors that
> happened inside the worker. I don't think this makes sense for shared
> workers, so I propose that it be spec'd to only expose load errors.
> Script errors can still be exposed via a global onerror property inside
> the worker, and they can still be reported to the error console. I don't
> think having script errors that happened inside a worker be exposed
> outside it is that useful (load errors are useful, though).

Right now only load errors are reported.

I'll wait til the API is more stable before exposing script errors and the
like at all (whether on a global onerror or whatever). It is noted as an
XXX issues in the spec source.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Why is importScripts imposing a same origin restriction? This won't
> increase security in any way since cross-origin scripts can always be
> loaded from the main thread. I think cross-site loading is fairly common
> exactly for the case that importScripts, which is loading libraries.

I don't recall the precise reason, but I seem to recall concern over
specific attack vectors are what caused us to restrict this.

> Also, the spec doesn't seem clear on what to do if compiling a script
> fails. I think some sort of exception should be thrown, probably the
> same one that is thrown if eval() is given a non-compiling script.

Done.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> I've been trying to understand the difference between SharedWorker and
> DedicatedWorker interfaces. Besides the ability to pick an existing
> worker by name, are there any other semantic differences? I may be
> missing something, but it looks like a single Worker interface with an
> optional name parameter to constructor would work just as well.

That's what we used to have. It was changed because having shared and
dedicated workers be too similar was considered bad API design. To be
honest I somewhat agree with the position that says they should be
distinct. I don't understand the benefit of making them the same.

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 kevin.hakanson at thomsonreuters.com wrote:

> 1.1.3 Worker used for backgroud I/O
> backgroud (should be background)
>
> 1.1.4 Shared workers
> idependently (should be independently)
>
> 2. Infrastructure
> multple (should be multiple)

Thanks, fixed.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Only the globalscope is specified to implement EventTarget, the actual
> Worker should too.

Fixed.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> For future compat it would be good to expose to workers information on
> what browser is currently being used. This can be used to work around
> bugs and lack of features.
>
> In a 'normal' window context the navigator object exposes a set of
> properties, such as userAgent, that can be used for this purpose. I
> suggest we add something similar to the worker context. The HTML5 spec
> defines the following:
>
> interface Navigator {
>   // client identification
>   readonly attribute DOMString appName;
>   readonly attribute DOMString appVersion;
>   readonly attribute DOMString platform;
>   readonly attribute DOMString userAgent;
>
>   // ... other things not related to identifying the UA
> };
>
> I'm not sure how stable this part of the HTML5 spec is, (I know firefox
> exposes a whole host of more properties), but it seems like a good set
> to start with. We should probably keep the two in sync if the window
> context Navigator object changes in the future.
>
> Orthoginally, it seems like at least the 'onLine' boolean on the
> Navigator interface would be useful too, and could be exposed at the
> same place.

Done.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Dmitry Titov wrote:

> 1. The sample code looks as
> if  setTimeout/clearTimeout/setInterval/clearInterval should be available to
> Workers (as methods of WorkerUtils?) but they are not explicitly specified
> on any interface. Should they be there?

Added.

> 2. It seems workers should be able to create workers (including creating
> 'themselves' in case of SharedWorker). It is especially useful for a
>  SharedWorker to create dedicated workers - since one of the popular
> scenarios for it is likely  a "state container" that communicates with UI
> pages while using dedicated workers to do other operations. Will spec
> include this?

Added.

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I'm fine with removing things like 'startConversation' and the implicit
> call to connect() on shared workers. 'startConversation' isn't really a
> new communication mechanism, but rather a convenience method on top of
> postMessage.

I removed startConversation() from the specs altogether, since it was
causing too much confusion. It was only a convenience method (it was
exactly equivalent to creating a new MessageChannel followed by calling
postMessage with one of the new ports), so this doesn't change anything
about the actual API.

I've snipped reference to startConversation from the following feedback,
as noted below, to avoid confusion over this.

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
> Nov 6, 2008, × 2:18 AM, Jonas Sicking ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ(Á):
> >
> > A shared worker is shared between all scripts on a single site[*] that
> > instantiates a worker with the same name. I.e. where the second
> > argument to the constructor is the same. (Don't remember what happens
> > if the second argument is the same as an existing worker, but the
> > first is not, check with the spec).
>
> Sure, that part is clear - but it's only about the behavior of the
> object's constructor, not the object itself! It alone doesn't warrant
> having a separate interface.
>
> As an example from another area, see mmap(2) function - you can pass
> MAP_ANON or MAP_FILE via its flags to achieve similar results. Note also
> that it has a number of other options. If we create a separate interface
> for every Worker isolation level needed (both inside and outside), we'll
> soon end up with PrivateWorker, SharedDataWorker and who knows what
> else.

We have different objects for shared and dedicated workers for a multitude
of reasons:

 1. Shared workers have a name.
 2. Dedicated workers have a method to terminate() them.
 3. The two have different communication needs (see below for detail).
 4. It allows us to have clearly named constructors, which makes for
    more self-documenting code.
 5. It's less confusing to authors if the two concepts are distinct,
    since they have such different use cases and use patterns.

The reasons for mixing them back together (as they used to be in the
original proposal) seem very unclear to me.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> * I think onclose makes sense on Port instead of on Worker. The other
> side of a Port can close out from under you, even if it is a window.

MessagePorts do have an onclose; it's separate from the onclose of the
Worker objects.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> * Ojan brought this up earlier, but I don't think there should be
> anything added to the global scope of workers except a single 'self'
> object, which implements all the APIs that are available there.

I did this once, and was immediately told to undo it, so I'm reluctant to
make this change again.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> * I think it would be a nice convenience to have an onmessage event
> inside workers that receives all messages sent to any port in the
> worker.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> Creating/accessing a shared worker could also create a default port that
> for use with Worker::postMessage, while all messages from such would be
> forwarded to WorkerGlobalScope::onmessage perhaps? Closing such a port
> wouldn't kill the worker thread, of course.

What's the use case for a global watching point like this? This seems very
odd.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> My biggest issue with the proposal as currently drafted is that there
> are so many different ways to send and receive messages. I think this
> overcomplicates the proposal for both developers and implementors.
>
> For dedicated workers, you can either send single messages using the
> Worker object directly, like in Gears:
>
> var worker = new Worker("foo.js");
> worker.postMessage("ping");
>
> [... snipped startConversation, which is equivalent to sending
> MessagePorts manually ...]
>
> Note that the worker has to know ahead of time which API the callers
> will use since the way that it replies is different depending on that.
> If the caller used Worker.postMessage(), the worker should reply like
> this:
>
> onmessage = function() {
>   postMessage("pong");
> }
>
> ... but if the caller [posted a port to talk over], then the worker
> should reply like this:
>
> onmessage = function(e) {
>   e.port.postMesage("pong");
> }
>
> * Workers have to know what interface was used to send them messages. If
> the page using a worker decide to start using a more powerful send API,
> the worker must also be upgraded. You can already see examples of this
> problem in the samples at the beginning of the draft. They are marked
> with the comments "// support being used as a shared worker as well as a
> dedicated worker".

This is just like if the client sent "PING" instead of "ping". It's not a
different mechanism, it's just a different way of using the mechanism.
Sure, you have to set up a convention for messages for your worker. I
don't see this as a problem.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > * Remove the port property from the SharedWorker interface and give
> > > it a postMessage and onmessage just like dedicated workers have.
> >
> > I really don't like this. With (Dedicated)Worker it makes sense
> > because both sides bury the underlying message channel and ports and
> > so things like closing the port, or whether the port is active, are
> > hidden on both sides. But with SharedWorker, if we only bury it on one
> > side, there is a lack of symmetry that IMHO is going to lead to all
> > kinds of issues and confusion. I really don't like that. If people
> > start sending one side's pipe down another channel, we can end up with
> > a situation where a SharedWorker object really represents a port that
> > has nothing to do with the worker anymore.
>
> It's not really that different from what you have today where a
> myWorker.port object can send messages to something that isn't a worker
> at all.
>
> It also removes the issue where the .port property on a shared worker is
> readonly but dead.

I believe that the idea that the API for shared and dedicated workers
should be the same is misguided. The spec used to make the two cases
identical. The result was confusion, and the dedicated case was much more
complex than necessary.

Shared workers and dedicated workers are fundamentally different and have
different needs, and we should expose these needs in ways optimised for
the two cases.

The basic need is that dedicated workers be able to have a two-way
communication channel with their creators, and shared workers be able to
have a two-way communication with each user of the worker.

Assuming we use MessagePorts on each end for communication, then we have
to get the ports to each end somehow.

On the outside, we can expose a port on the worker object:

   var worker = new Worker(url);
   worker.port...

   var worker = new SharedWorker(url, name);
   worker.port...

...and on the inside we can have either the port provided through an
event:

   // case A
   var port;
   onconnect = function(e) {
     port = e.port;
   };

...or accessible in general:

   self.port // case B

The latter (B) doesn't work for shared workers, since there are multiple
ports in that case, so for shared workers we have to use the former (A).

For dedicated workers though that's way more complexity than we want to
require of authors -- why do they have to listen for a port when there
will always be exactly one? So it makes sense to use

Now, we've at this point made the two different already, so as to simplify
the dedicated worker, so we could (and the spec does) make the dedicated
worker even simpler while we're at it.

One way to do that is to bury the ports into the Worker and global scope
objects. If we do one side, though, we have to do the other, because it
would be really weird to have a message channel that half-acts like a
two-port channel and half doesn't. For example, if we bury it, we
shouldn't expose .close(), since it's better for the worker to be closed
using the actual .close() or .terminate() API, but if we only "bury" one
side, then one end could close the pipe and not the other, and we'd have
to make sure we expose .onclose on the buried end, and so forth.

So, we end up with what the spec has now.

I think what we have now is better than making dedicated and shared
workers superficially the same (as the spec used to be, and as the people
involved in this thread argued was bad) is more confusing for authors.

At this point, if the only arguments for changing the API are "it's
confusing for authors", then I'd rather not change the API. We got to
where we are today by carefully considering what would be better for
authors. We could continue going back-and-forth and reverting earlier
decisions until the cows come home, but I see no benefit to doing so.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Aaron Boodman wrote:

> * I still don't buy the utility of passing around MessagePorts, so I
> suggest we table that for v2. It can always be added back later.

Since they so drastically affect the API design, I think putting them off
is a mistake. We might end up constraining ourselves in unobvious ways.

If there are specific points that I have not explicitly replied to that
materially affect the arguments and my responses, please let me know. I
tried to take all the input above into account, but it was non-trivial,
since much of it was contradictory, with even individual people putting
forwards opposite arguments.