[whatwg] Review of the 3.16 section and the HTMLInputElement interface

Samuel Santos samaxes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:15:27 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, Samuel Santos wrote:
> >
> > I find it very hard to convince some clients that in order to have the
> > browse button in their language they must configure their browsers. The
> > vast majority of them don't even know where they can configure the
> > default browser language, and don't feel they should even have to do it.
> > It's also strange for them to have all the buttons in their language
> > except the browse buttons.
>
> I understand but why don't they also complain about, say, the title of the
> dialog box that comes up? Or the items on the context menus?
>
> Why do they use the wrong language browser in the first place?

In Portugal a lot computers come with the english OS version.This means that
the browser is in english and configured to have english as the default
language.

The problem with the input file button is that the client/user assumes that
the text that appears in it is the developer's responsibility, like with the
other button controls.
In the example you gave he knows that the dialog box is from the UA
(browser) and has nothing to do with the rest of the application.

I'm pretty sure that this happens a lot in non-english countries.

> --

Samuel Santos
http://www.samaxes.com/