[whatwg] Format issue on the spec: unreadable (or hardly readable) text.

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 07:00:43 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Eduard Pascual <herenvardo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't say for sure if this is an issue from the spec document
> itself, or just a rendering bug on my browser (FF 3.0.3), but here it
> goes:
> Within the section "4.3.1 The script element", on the algorythm
> labeled "Running a script", step 6, the text for the first "condition"
> shows overlapped, each line covering part of the text in the previous
> line. I have put a screenshot on
> http://herenvardo.googlepages.com/brokentext.png just for case anyone
> wants to see it.
> So, unless it is actually a FF bug, I hope someone fixes it.
> Actually, I *can* read half-visible text like that, but even being
> used to do that it still takes some extra effort from my eyes and
> brain. And I wouldn't expect everyone reading the spec to be used to
> look at scrambled text.

That's not an FF bug, it's a styling bug.  That line has class="XXX", which
gives it a bit of padding, a fat red border, and 1em of margin on top and
bottom.  However, inline elements ignore margins, so the border just
overlaps the surrounding line boxes instead.  Ian should change his styling
to make sure that any element which receives classes "XXX" or "big-issue"
are display: block.

~TJ