[whatwg] Show upload progress

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Nov 11 18:02:35 PST 2008

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:

> A lot of people are implementing progress bars that show in real time
> the upload status of files being uploaded.
>
> Right now it's a pain to implement that kind of functionality, as the
> browser has to poll regularly the server with a secondary connection to
> get the total size of the request, and the number of bytes already
> received.
>
> Given that the browser already knows that information, I think it would
> be great if it could expose it on some DOM object. What do you think?

I think we may at some future point add an upload progress events object
to <form> elements, similar to what XHR is getting for upload. However, in
the meantime, I think it would be better to ask browser vendors to make
significant strides in improving the upload progress UI of form
submission. There's really no reason browsers couldn't do this better than
Web application authors could.