[whatwg] Scoping elements and nested paragraphs

Tommy Thorsen tommy at kvaleberg.com
Wed Nov 12 01:49:03 PST 2008

Consider the following markup:

The html5 parsing algorithm produces the following tree:

whereas Firefox and Opera both produce:

and IE produces:

The main problem with the html5 output, in my opinion, is the extra
element and the final </p> is not able to find the first <p>.

I've fixed this in our implementation by implementing the first
paragraph in 'An end tag whose name is "p"' in "in body" as if it said:

---
If the stack of open elements does not have an element in scope  with
the same tag name as that of the token, then this is a parse error

If the stack of open elements does not contain an element with the same
tag name as that of the token, then act as if a start tag with the tag
name p had been seen, then reprocess the current token.
---

Best regards,
Tommy