[whatwg] Combining the DedicatedWorker and SharedWorker interfaces

Aaron Boodman aa at google.com
Wed Nov 12 14:46:02 PST 2008

2008/11/12 Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org>:
> "The startConversation(message) method is a convenience method that
> simplifies create a new MessageChannel and invokingpostMessage() with one of
> the new ports." - it doesn't do anything postMessage() couldn't do.
> Receivers are supposed to differentiate events by evt.data.

I see. Well that kinda makes sense, as long as the method is not
called 'connect'. It would be really silly if there were a 'connect()'
method and an 'onconnect' event, but they were unrelated :).

I feel that it probably is not productive to continue discussing
details when there is disagreement on the large-scale shape of the API
between myself, Jonas, and Hixie. My opinion on this detail, for
example, probably varies depending on whether there is a
startConversation() method on shared workers, dedicated workers,
neither, or both.

- a