[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:15:15 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> Now, if the codec parameter is used then the user agent may answer yes
> and no in a way that actually makes some sense.
>
> I also think that this should be explicitly related to the type
> attribute of the source element. One should be able to use canPlayType
> to predict with 100% accuracy which source the user agent will use when
> it encounters.
>
> <video>
> <source type="application/ogg"/>
> <source type="application/ogg codecs=dirac,flac"/>
> </video>

On a little bit of a side not, may I point out that there is an
updated RFC for Ogg media types at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5334.txt
and it explicitly includes the codecs parameter with standard values
for the current ones supported by Ogg.

It also recommends using "video/ogg" for video files, so that would
change your example to:

<video>
<source type="video/ogg"/>
<source type="video/ogg; codecs=dirac,flac"/>
</video>

I know it's a minor issue, but I'd like us at HTML5 to get it right
and to recommend the correct mime types to web developers.

Cheers,
Silvia.