[whatwg] Video Element Events? - Use Case: Custom Progress Bar

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Nov 17 15:19:06 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Antti Koivisto <antti at apple.com> wrote:

> On 16.11.2008, at 16:16, Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>  With polling, the polling will miss key points, e.g. when the playback
>> loops, which will result in the UI appearing to lag behind the playback.
>> It will also cause higher processing cost while there is no need to send
>> updates, e.g. while seeking or waiting for data, times where you really
>> don't want extra load.
>>

> The earlier iteration of the spec already fired timeupdate events on all
> discontinuous changes in time. How would this event flood be an improvement
> over that?

That makes a lot more sense than limiting the timeupdate period. Firing
timeupdate on discontinuous changes and requiring apps to also use a regular
timer to get periodic updates sounds reasonable to me.

- Requiring events on every frame might make some playback optimizations
> impossible (by requiring constant activation of the web engine thread during
> playback).

Can you be more specific?

Rob
53:5-6]