[whatwg] Data Templates and Repetition Blocks removed

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Nov 18 00:22:21 PST 2008

On the basis that the data template and repetition block template sections
didn't actually solve enough problems, I've dropped them from the spec.

If there are specific features we could add that would make it easier to
implement custom templating features, please do let me know. It seems
almost everyone with needs for templating has different specific needs, so
it would be better for us to provide a generic API for custom templating
features instead.

The feedback below is thus being dropped at this point, as it no longer
applies to the spec. Thanks for the feedback anyway!

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Keryx Web wrote:

> I am also very interested in this question. I think there is a tendency
> to include too much in HTML - "since that what developers know".
>
> Except for the case of repeating stuff on a multi-line form (already
> covered in Web forms 2) I have never felt the need for any client side
> template system, nor have I read of any app where this might be useful.
>
> BTW, will they degrade gracefully?

Cheers,