[whatwg] Absent rev?

Robert O'Rourke rob at sanchothefat.com
Tue Nov 18 10:23:48 PST 2008

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> Robert O'Rourke wrote:
>> Hi Martin, hope you're well :)
>
> Hello Rob, nice to hear from you, yes I am well.... :-)

Glad to hear it!

>> I don't chirp up that often on this list but I have to agree that
>> @rev isn't much of a loss. Perhaps for the above example rel="source"
>> or rel="muse" would be semantically valid as a reply could be said to
>> be inspired by the thing it's replying to... maybe that's a bad example.
>
> No Not that bad rel=muse is near the mark, but the author of the page
> I am referencing may not give me inspiration, I just want to reply to
> someone, it may be rhetorical, or insulting?
>
> XFN rel values like "muse" are about how you think they would relate
> to you, not about how you would relate to them ...
>
> @rev => how "this" relates to "that"
>
> @rel => how "that" relates to "this"

I can see it's usefulness. The way I see it the spec is not set in stone
yet, and you could still use @rev (if you don't mind the odd HTML5
validation error), it's just up to the particular xfn/microformats
parsers to actually do something with it, but I don't know much about
the current parsers.

Maybe you could ask forum or commenting services like disqus.com if
they're interested in putting @rev="reply" attributes on the comments
where they link back to the source or to another comment. That'd
generate a good real-world example. It could also be used on the
url+fragment identifier of the comment. It could be a nice way to index
and timeline online 'conversations' through blog posts and comments,
especially if they're across disparate websites.

Anyway I'm rambling way off topic now, sorry.

Cheers,
Rob